Sunday, January 22, 2012

Easy Like Sunday Morning...


Sunday, a day of rest, relaxation and wholesome food.  On Sara Stirs the Pot, Sunday’s are devoted to brunch fare with ingredients that most of you will have in your pantry. As Bobby Flay would say, “Brunch is the most underappreciated meal.” I observe that often I am moving too hastily to stop and appreciate a breakfast either alone or with someone special. I also have grasped that breakfast does not have to be conventional. As much as I adore eggs and bacon, I favor to deviate from the norm. Once again I was traveling this morning, today it was India. I took an atypical approach to eggs Florentine. I discover the traditional recipe rather boring, so I supplemented some spices that I fancy, and adapted a new recipe.


Indian Eggs Florentine
(in my back yard this morning)
3 T butter

I box frozen spinach
2 C milk
¼ C flour
1 T garam marsala
½ t cayenne
½ t coriander
½ t cardamom
¼ ground nutmeg
¾ t salt
Pepper
5 Eggs
Provolone cheese
Melt the butter over medium heat. Warm milk in another saucepan. Add all spices to butter and sauté until fragrant. Slowly add in flour to spice mixture while whisking to avoid lumps. Then slowly add milk while continuing to whisk to achieve the desired consistency. Add spinach and remove from heat.
Once mixture is cooled mix in an egg and place in greased muffin pan, and bake until firm. Once done, turn upside down and release the spinach circles.
Poach eggs in a bath of 1 in water for 3-4 min, place on top of the spinach circles. Finish with melted cheese of your choice on top (I used provolone).
This makes 4 servings.
Until tomorrow…Peace.

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhh.......the Indian touch makes this irresistable to try!!!!!

    ReplyDelete