Tuesday, October 16, 2012

So, when you hear this autumn song remember the best times are yet to come...


If you only have love for your own race
Then you only leave space to discriminate
And to discriminate only generates hate
And when you have hate then you're bound to get irate
-Black Eyes Peas



When I think of potato soup I tend to jump to the notion of a bland bowl of heavy starch. The other day I was contemplating ideas on how best to reinvent this classic to contain fresh bright elements. Herbs, miracle workers, were the perfect fix to a boring problem. I chose the combination of dill, parsley, and mint. Dijon mustard, cider vinegar, cayenne, and fresh spinach also added to this beautifully bold herb potato soup. There was a slight silkiness added from a touch of mayonnaise (I know it sounds strange, but trust me on this one). A toasted baguette rubbed with garlic and olive oil topped with fresh tomato slices rounds the soup out for an elegant lunch. This is a potato soup that would stand up to any entertaining challenge. A beautiful option is to add pomegranate seeds as a garnish (perfect holiday party soup).




Herb Packed Potato Soup



3-4 cups mini white potatoes, boiled in salted water and diced (skin on)

3/4 cup loosely chopped herbs: dill, parsley, basil, mint (your choice)
1 tsp pepper
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
2 garlic cloves
1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
1 1/2 cups spinach
2 celery stalks diced
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar or seasoned rice vinegar (adds a sweeter edge)
2-3 tbsp mayo
a few dashes of cayenne 

Garnishes: 
Olive oil, fresh herbs, dash of cayenne

Directions:

Boil potatoes in salted water, until tender. In a dutch oven saute onion and celery. Once veggies are tender return cooked potatoes to the pot. Add remaining ingredients except mayo, warm through but there is no need to bring to a boil. Remove from heat blend in a blender or use an immersion blender. Stir in mayo. Garnish as desired.

Until tomorrow...Peace.



2 comments:

  1. Oh, I just made mashed potatoes this looks so much better. You are right starchiness is a big problem with most potato soups. Its really got to pack a punch with all those herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. somehow I cannot see mint in the soup. I believe I am not overly fond of it. What could I use instead, if anything? I like the silkyness idea - I will use mayo
    as suggested. Is this your first potato soup??

    ReplyDelete