Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Sandwich Salute...


As much as I appreciate small bites...my next true love is THE SANDWICH!! The notion of the ability to have the same pleasure prepared differently 365 days out of the year is impressive. Long, short, hot, cold, pressed even wrapped the prospects are endless. Submarine, gyro, po’boy, and hoagie the epithets are insignificant I am a devotee to them all. Maximum flavor bundled between two slices of gourmet bread, I'm sold.
I find ethnic food intriguing, and a simple way to transport myself to another culture instantly. A few days ago I adventured to Vietnam with a Vietnamese Banh Mi sandwich. I must say it was a wonderful excursion. Sweet meets sour and that produced a broad smile.


Banh Mi

For the Pork:
Pork tenderloin
1 C ginger dressing
1 C grapeseed oil
3 T teriyaki sauce 
3 garlic cloves grated
1 t seasoned salt
1 T pepper

For the Slaw:
3 carrots
1 cucumber
3 jalapenos
3 T water
3 T white vinegar
1 T sugar
1 t salt

French Bread
Mayo

Combine all ingredients for the pork and marinate for at least 6 hours. Then Bake at 400 until tender. Let the pork rest and cool before slicing it into thin strips. Shred carrots, cucumber, and jalapenos then combine with water, vinegar, sugar, and salt. Slice bread, spread mayo, layer pork then the slaw. Enjoy!!

I recommend a large bag of salt and vinegar potato chips with these sandwiches.

Until tomorrow...Peace. 

1 comment: