Saturday, July 28, 2012

These are the seasons of emotion, and like the winds, they rise and fall...

I was riding my bicycle the other day and stopped at a yard sale (it was a really nice house). I found it was an estate sale...my precious find was this large plate with 4 matching square plates. I told them I would be back in 5 minutes, so I hopped back on the bike and rode to my house. I popped in the car to go pick them up, a steal for $7. The set screamed dessert to me, so I decided to take on a feat that I have been avoiding...angel food cake. Angel food cake and I have a love hate relationship, I love to eat it but have had many failed attempts at baking one. My pan was buried in the cabinet, so I retrieved it and decided today was the day. At last it came out beautifully. I topped it with a simple lemon pistachio glaze, now I have a new favorite cake. I have decided the key to this task is being delicate and patient. The cake is light and airy, perfect for brunch.




Cake:

1 cup cake flour 
1 cup  granulated sugar, divided
1/8 teaspoon salt
10 large egg whites, room temperature
finely grated zest of 2 large lemons
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cream of tartar

Lemon syrup and glaze:

½ cup granulated sugar
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
½ cup unsalted pistachios, lightly toasted and cooled, finely chopped
½ cup powdered sugar

For cake:

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Have ready a 25cm diameter angel food pan with 10cm high sides and removable bottom.

Sift flour, ½ cup sugar and salt into medium bowl; repeat sifting 3 times. Using electric mixer, beat egg whites, lemon zest, and vanilla on medium speed in large bowl until frothy (mixture may turn bright yellow but color will change when remaining ingredients are added). Add cream of tartar; increase speed to high and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Sprinkle 1/3 of flour mixture over whites and gently fold in until incorporated. Fold in remaining flour mixture in 2 more additions just until incorporated. Transfer to cake pan and smooth the top.

Bake cake until pale golden and tester inserted near center comes out clean, about 38 minutes. Immediately invert cake onto work surface if pan has feet, or invert center tube of pan onto neck of bottle or metal funnel and cool cake completely.
Using long thin knife, cut around cake sides and center tube to loosen. Lift out center tube with cake still attached; run knife between cake and bottom of pan to loosen. Invert cake onto rack, then turn cake over, rounded side up, onto serving plate.

Lemon syrup and glaze:

Combine the granulated sugar and 3 tablespoons lemon juice in small saucepan; stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Brush syrup all over top and sides of cake. Immediately press pistachios onto top and sides of cake, pressing to adhere.
Stir powdered sugar with remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice in small bowl until smooth. Drizzle glaze over top of cake. Let stand until glaze sets, about 10 minutes.

Cake can be made up to 1 day ahead – cover with cake dome and store at room temperature.

Until tomorrow...Peace.

1 comment:

  1. What a great find, at an Estate sale at that. I am sure there are quite good ones in your area.
    And you surely made your find very useful. I have always heard angel food cake was sensitive to make. Your choice of pistachios is interesting. More original than almonds, just like MissStirthePot. She is terrific!

    ReplyDelete