Sunday, July 29, 2012

Where it all ends I can't fathom, my friends. If I knew, I might toss out my anchor...

Today I have a Thai inspired flatbread with a delicious peanut sauce as the base. The flatbread I used is the recipe that I have utilized in many previous posts, the only change is I did not add any herbs to the dough. I grilled the flatbread but baked it with the sauce and toppings, but you could certainly grill the entire dish. Also, if you wanted a shortcut as far as the bread making I believe you could use store bought Naan bread (Indian flatbread). The toppings are simple: chicken, red bell pepper, Serrano pepper (you can omit this if intimidated by heat),carrots, and a garnish of cilantro. The true flavor comes from the peanut sauce comprised of peanut butter, soy sauce, chili flakes, rice wine vinegar, and brown sugar to name a few. The peanut sauce is actually delicious on chicken breasts, vegetables, or even sandwiches. This is an excellent flatbread to entertain with as it slightly out of the ordinary.  



Ingredients
The peanut sauce:
1 tbsp sesame oil
1/4 cup peanut butter
3 tbsp soy sauce 
1 1/2 tsp water
2 1/4 tsp rice wine vinegar
1 1/2 tsp canola oil
1 1/2 tsp packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger
1/4 tsp chili garlic sauce or red chile flakes

The flatbread:

4 pieces flatbread (recipe can be found by clicking on "Bread" on the right hand side of my blog)
2 cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1 large carrot, peeled & cut into matchsticks
1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup minced cilantro
Instructions
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. 

The peanut sauce:

In a blender, combine sesame oil, peanut butter, soy sauce, water, rice vinegar, canola oil, brown sugar, ginger and chili garlic sauce. Blend until smooth.

The flatbread:

Lay 2 pieces of flatbread on a flatbread on a baking sheet.
Spread 2 tablespoons of peanut sauce on each piece of flatbread.
Divide half of the chicken, red bell pepper, Serrano, carrots, mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese evenly between the 2 pieces of flatbread.
Place the baking sheet in the oven.
Bake until the cheese is melted and the flatbread is golden brown, 7 to 8 minutes.
Transfer the flatbreads to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
Slice the flatbreads and garnish with minced cilantro. Serve.

Until tomorrow...Peace.

1 comment:

  1. I became acquainted with good flatbread in England last fall. Uncle Rick went to several stores looking for a certain brand; once he received it Tess made a delicious pizza. It was
    one of my favorite meals.

    I am sure your meal was equally as good.

    ReplyDelete