Thursday, August 2, 2012

You know its funny how freedom can make us feel contained...

I had invited a few people over, and I wanted to serve a hearty appetizer. My go to for entertaining is a cheese plate with fruit and honey. For this gathering I decided to give it a slight twist. I made five different kinds of crostinis (for some reason one managed to escape the photograph) each with a cheese and fruit pairing, some were dressed with herbs. It was not only appealing to the eye, but delicious as well. This method actually turned out to be a great idea because my guests were able to simply pick them up, since I had previously completed the assembly. The only addition to this platter of delights was a small dish of honey for drizzling if desired. You may use any combination of fruit and cheese that you like, and you do not need to have five different types. Everyone seemed to thoroughly enjoy this concept.





Cheese
  • Greek Cheese (a type of Feta)
  • A sheep’s cheese
  • Fresh Goat Log
  • A sharp Blue
  • An aged guouda
Fruit
  • Cherries, pitted and halved
  • Peaches, stones, halved and sliced finely
  • Strawberries, sliced finely
  • Figs, sliced into small chunks
  • Pears, sliced and chopped
Herbs
  • Chives
  • Basil
  • Mint
Bread
  • Half a baguette, sliced into small discs
  • 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil

Method

Brush the discs of baguette with olive oil. Place under a heated grill, until golden brown – this should take about 5 minutes or less. Chop the fruit into small pieces. Slice the herbs into thin strips and cut the cheese into small bite size pieces.  Now, it really is just a case of assembling them altogether. I paired the sheep's cheese with cherries and a single chive. The peach is paired with soft goat cheese and basil –it tastes summery and divine. The pears work really well with the crumbly sharp guouda (my favorite) and the figs are delicious with the creamy Bleu.  Lastly I assembled strawberries with Feta and mint. I added a little black pepper to these. It really is up to you, what cheese and fruit you use. This plate serves as a great little Summer snack.

Until tomorrow...Peace.

1 comment:

  1. Great imagination! I am sure your guests were
    happy. Very interesting to the eye as each one was different. I think that is why so many people like high tea - lots of different kinds of finger foods. Goes back to when we use to live in the cave.
    Some of us haven't come very far!!

    ReplyDelete